Tuesday 10 July 2007

Business Value Revisited:



My last post ( Business Value: Use it or lose it ) was all about Business Value creation (BV = C x U )and about how the usage element was at least as important as the capability. I recently gave a presentation to a group of Finance Directors based around this material and I was challenged quite hard by one participant about my insistence that unwillingness to comply with process or persistent use of work arounds should result in "sanctions".



I thought about this quite hard, and subsequently tested the ideas with another presentation group. The conclusion is that I still believe in sanctions, but I would like to emphasise that balance is the key. Sanctions need to be balanced with rewards for doing it right. In addition, doing it right should be easy.



The logical consequence of frequent exceptions (actual or attempted) must be for the Process Owner to re-examine the process concerned in order to determine if the process is easy to use. If not, change it , if it is - then keep up the good work. As Bruce Willis was heard to say in response to a question about the prospect of his eldest daughter starting to date boys getting hurt - "If one of the SoB's upsets her, then I'll just deal with him and trust that word gets around".



So - if anyone messes with your pet process - just deal with 'em !

No comments:

Post a Comment